Navigating the Data.gov Catalog
The catalog on Data.gov provides the ability to search and browse datasets, data series, tools, and products.
Data.gov now has one unified data catalog based on an open source standard that will make it easier to federate with other federal agency catalogs, as well as those of universities, tribal governments, and states, cities, and counties.
All contributing organizations are listed under "Organization" in the top right.
The new catalog features a number of enhancements, such as an improved search that helps you find all the datasets for a particular location, better sorting and tagging of datasets, and more robust metadata. To find datasets you can:
- Enter key words in the search box.
- Browse on the left side through types, tags, formats, groups, organization types, organizations, and categories. Clicking on multiple items narrows your search. You can click on the "x" to the side of any single item to remove it from the search, or "clear all" to remove all selected items in a category.
- Search by geospatial area by drawing a boundary box on the map at the left side and clicking "Apply" to find all datasets that are tagged for that geographic area.
- "Interactive Datasets" at the top right takes you to datasets that can be explored online through a web browser
There are many ways to provide feedback and contribute to the discussions on Data.gov and this catalog.
- Suggest a new dataset and see what others have suggested
- Ask a question in our Developer's Community
- Ask a general question at the Open Data Exchange and tag it with data.gov
- Send an email