Add Your Data Catalog to Data.gov
Sign up here to get your local data federated to Data.gov for greater discoverability and impact.
If your data catalog is ready to be added to Data.gov as described in the Data Publisher How-To Guide, please provide the relevant information here and we’ll contact you when everything is ready.
- Data.gov is the federal catalog established in 2009
- Federal Open Data Policy issued in 2013 requires federal agencies to maintain comprehensive data inventories that are automatically harvested daily by the Data.gov catalog.
- Detailed guidance for federal agencies can be found at Project Open Data. The federal agencies are required to describe their datasets using a required metadata schema.
- Data.gov catalog uses the CKAN open source platform for the catalog and for harvesting the agency data sources.
- The same harvesting mechanism is used to incorporate non-federal sources. Data.gov has a local section.
For non-federal government open data sources:
The basic requirements are:
- A data.json that can be harvested by the Data.gov catalog, with certain minimum metadata. You can validate your data.json at labs.data.gov, choose the non-federal schema v 1.1.
- A point of contact for the non-federal source. Because we receive questions about all datasets that users find on Data.gov at our Contact Us page, we need a point of contact to refer questions that should be addressed by the non-federal data source.
Questions? Please contact us at email@example.com