Linking to Data.gov
Data.gov is the official portal for open data from the U.S. government. It is a public domain website, which means you may link to Data.gov at no cost. When you link to Data.gov, please do it in an appropriate context as a service to people when they need to find official U.S. government data. We encourage you to use our logo, which we’ve provided below. Placement of the Data.gov logo is to be used only as a marker to the home page and not as a form of endorsement or approval from Data.gov, the Office of Citizen Services and Innovative Technologies, the U.S. General Services Administration, or the U.S. Government.
- U.S. Federal data available through Data.gov is offered free and without restriction. Data and content created by government employees within the scope of their employment are not subject to domestic copyright protection under 17 U.S.C. § 105.
- Non-federal data available through Data.gov may have a different licensing method as noted under “Show more” at the bottom of the dataset page. Non-federal data can be identified by name of the publisher and the diagonal banner that shows up on the search results and data set pages. Federal data will have a banner noting “Federal” and non-federal banners will note “University”, “Multiple Sources”, “State”, etc.
Use of Logo
- The image below is the official Data.gov logo.
- If you have any questions about linking to Data.gov, the use of the logo, or want more information or promotional materials on Data.gov, please post the question to the Open Data Stack Exchange and tag it “data-gov” or contact us.
All datasets accessed through Data.gov are confined to public information and must not contain National Security information as defined by statute and/or Executive Order, or other information/data that is protected by other statute, practice, or legal precedent. The supplying Department/Agency is required to maintain currency with public disclosure requirements.
All information accessed through Data.gov is in compliance with the required confidentiality, integrity, and availability controls mandated by Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) 199 as promulgated by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and the associated NIST publications supporting the Certification and Accreditation (C&A) process. Submitting Agencies are required to follow NIST guidelines and OMB guidance (including C&A requirements).
All information accessed through Data.gov must be in compliance with current privacy requirements including OMB guidance. In particular, Agencies are responsible for ensuring that the datasets accessed through Data.gov have any required Privacy Impact Assessments or System of Records Notices (SORN) easily available on their websites.
Data Quality and Retention
All information accessed through Data.gov is subject to the Information Quality Act (P.L. 106-554). For all data accessed through Data.gov, each agency has confirmed that the data being provided through this site meets the agency’s Information Quality Guidelines.
As the authoritative source of the information, submitting Departments and Agencies are responsible for ensuring that the datasets accessed through Data.gov are current and correct, in compliance with record retention requirements outlined by the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA).
Data accessed through Data.gov do not, and should not, include controls over its end use. Once the data have been downloaded from the agency’s site, the government cannot vouch for their quality and timeliness. Furthermore, the U.S. Government cannot vouch for any analyses conducted with data retrieved from Data.gov.
While not required, when using content, data, documentation, code, and related materials from Data.gov in your own work, we ask that proper credit be given. An example citation is provided below:
Data retrieved from Data.gov (https://www.data.gov/)
Disclaimer of Endorsement
The information posted on the Data.gov website includes hypertext links, or pointers, to information created and maintained by other public and/or private organizations. Data.gov only provides these links and pointers for your information and convenience. When you select a link to an outside website, you are leaving the Data.gov site and are subject to the privacy and security policies of the owners/sponsors of the outside website.
- The General Services Administration (GSA) and Data.gov do not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of information contained on a linked website.
- GSA and Data.gov do not endorse the organizations sponsoring linked websites and we do not endorse the views they express or the products/services they offer.
- GSA and Data.gov cannot authorize the use of copyrighted materials contained in linked websites. Users must request such authorization from the sponsor of the linked website.
- GSA and Data.gov are not responsible for transmissions users receive from linked websites.
- GSA and Data.gov do not guarantee that outside websites comply with Section 508 (accessibility requirements) of the Rehabilitation Act.
In support of the Transparency and Open Government Initiative, recommendations from individuals, groups and organizations regarding the presentation of data, data types, and metadata will contribute to the evolution of Data.gov.
Applicability of this Data Policy
Nothing in this Data Policy alters, or impedes the ability to carry out, the authorities of the Federal Departments and Agencies to perform their responsibilities under law and consistent with applicable legal authorities, appropriations, and presidential guidance, nor does this Data Policy limit the protection afforded any information by other provisions of law. This Data Policy is intended only to improve the internal management of information controlled by the Executive Branch of the Federal Government and it is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity, by a party against the United States, its Departments, Agencies, or other entities, its officers, employees, or agents.